On userscripts.org site, I suggest you ...

Show that script is already installed in Greasemonkey

This could eliminate the need to install a style when it's already in Greasemonkey. Stylish has this on their site, and also when a style is updated it says: Style has been updated since your last install.

278 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    jeton shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ecmanaut commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So it's doable, but prolly requires someone with initiative, some js skills and the self interest in wanting to drive this feature both through the greasemonkey-dev approval process, implement it and have the feature propagated to userscripts.org too, ideally by default, so extension users don't have to configure anything to get the feature. / Greasemonkey developer without mentioned initiative

Next issue to tackle would be showing that the current script's *current version* is the one installed. My best take on that one would be adding an MD5 or SHA256 hash of the current version's source code in the install link, as some extra custom attribute md5sum="77b5611c9b05d7df96918329962e0d6e" or similar, which GM could cross reference with its installed scripts, and add an installed="yes" to.

It's a somewhat tricky problem to solve in a pretty way. Privacy-wise, the intelligent Greasemonkey stance would be not to disclose information to any random site what user scripts are installed. Deciding that userscripts.org may see such info would sort of address that concern (might gain a consensus vote on the GM-dev and/or GM-users mailing lists).

• jeton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do see a security issue. But still this whole "process" of whether a script is installed or not has to do with the FX extension and userscripts.org . It doesn't have to check visa.com or any other site whether a script is installed.

• Edo78 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@jeton
        Stylish modify only styles, greasemonkey modify the behavior of a page and can access (in some conditions) be exploited to obtain cross-site information (like login and password of your online banking account).

Can you see some security issue now ?

• jeton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@raffles, well. This is something that's available at userstyles.org and works with Stylish. So therefore i thought that it might be applied on greasemonkey. I really don't see any security issue.

• raffles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't see how this is possible. If a website could tell what greasemonkey scripts were installed, that could be a major security issue.

Keeping track of clicks on the "install this script" button would fail as well, because as soon as you delete the script on your computer, the website would have no way of knowing about it, if you were to try to reinstall it again.

Feedback and Knowledge Base