On userscripts.org site, I suggest you ...

To create a better script classification system

Instead of just throwing the scripts into a huge list, classify them according to categories; like site, purpouse, etc.

759 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

21 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • keangkeang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Instead of just throwing the scripts into a huge list, classify them according to categories; like site, purpouse, etc.

• doesitmatterdoesitmatter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A way to find globally useful scripts (like Greasedlightbox) and site-specific ones would be very helpful.

• Michael WMichael W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You used to have a good script search but now it goes to Google and is completely worthless. Please go back to an internal search of Userscripts only.

• nahidnahid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

all scripts need to indicate which browser it supports chrome/firefox(greasemonkey)/opera. it must allow users to only search scripts for a specific browser.

• i_hate_to_sign_up_for_any_tiny_crapi_hate_to_sign_up_for_any_tiny_crap commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a complete horror navigating through all those scripts. Tags are not enough. And even when I type in the EXACT script name, it doesn't list that script in search results on top -- only when the script consists of only one word. Or type in "Google++" for example, and you'll not find it! This sucks! I suggest a categorization similar to the one of Firefox's add-on website.

It's also a mess to navigate through your own favorites. I have almost 100 favorite scripts and I cannot even make a search within my favorites, not to mention that there aren't categories either. It would be nice if users could organize their scripts using folders or tags.

• missdipsymissdipsy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tags already exist, but there doesn't seem to be a way for users to add tags, or for us to browse tags. Also, the current tag system lacks standardisation, so actually using the tags to find anything is a hit-and-miss (e.g. scripts for Google Calendar could be filed under any one of a number of tags such as "calendar" "google calendar" "gcal" "gcalendar"). Allowing users to add tags would help.

• jnvjnv commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that some sort of categorisation (similar to e.g. mentioned Pirate Bay or Digg) would be great addition to current tagging system.
        Also, some sort of classification by domain (how idea's author suggest) would be useful, but harder to implement (read: there are much more ways to do it). Maybe it should be a standalone suggestion.

• zachattackaryzachattackary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. And personally I think it should be a combination of the authors and other users who tag it, or make suggestions to the author for tags kind of like how delicious.com does.

• topiotopio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can check experts-exchange.com for an example of a classification system that works allowindg the users to place their questions in the appropriate category.

For that matter you can check a much simpler version of this working beautifully in www.piratebay.org

• the13thzenthe13thzen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A category like "Recently Popular" or "Hottest" would be very helpful for discovering useful scripts. A lot of the old ones that haven't been updated in a year are past their prime and should no longer be used.

• arthaeyarthaey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hierarchical tags might help solve this problem. A "purpose:ad-removal" tag, for instance.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base