On userscripts.org site, I suggest you ...

Multiple authors of the same script

If one person creates a script initially, then another person alters it substantially (or rewrites it but provides the same features), it would be nice if the second author could be added as an admin for that script for credit where credit is due, and for future maintenance.

152 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    chrisdone shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • sizzlemctwizzle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd be much more interested in a general way to allow one script to have multiple authors(perhaps through the groups system already in place). I'm not sure if that's exactly what you are suggesting here, but I'll vote for it.

• Izzy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In this context, it would also be great to allow a scriptwright to "take over" some abandoned script (whithout the need to duplicate it by creating a "fork" - there are enough dupes in created by "script thieves" already). Of course, this would require some "process rules", e.g.:

1 - contact the original author. If contact was made, the original author decides whether to a) give in the request, b) just add the new contributor as co-author/co-admin for the script, c) refuse (and optionally accept the provided changes for an update).
        2 - if no contact could be established for xxx days, escalate to some site admin for decision (reject or approve).

• Erik Aronesty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

fork would require a lot of work... mutiple authors would require comparatively little. right now i'm going to create a new account that's "not me", create a new project, move the code over there and just give the password out to a bunch of people unless someone says "stop! .... you can appoint other admins!"

• Nikita Vasilyev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Github has fork feature. It's much better then "multiple authors" like google code has (they called it "project committers" and "project owners").

Fork can be done without original script author permission. It's important.

• niknah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good job on the upgrades, lots of things have improved!
        This feature would be useful for me, when I go on holidays then someone else can update my scripts and the "diff history" can save me from any bad edits that people may put in. But if I just gave away my login details, then people could change that and I could be locked out of my account.

• chopinhauer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is this site upgrade going?

Jesse, if you need help, I would be glad to give it to you, since I *REALLY* need this feature.

• AdminPhotodeus (Admin, Userscripts.org) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Script collaboration : YES!
        I would like to give someone else privileges to edit one of my scripts, as it is now I don't see how it could be done. Now that we have versions, we could also track what someone did.

• iamah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

that's food for thought... also one could choose even moderator permissions

• chrisdone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To anotherjesse: That would be much appreciated! I had a suspicion that it might have been in the database tables but not exposed yet. Thank you for your attention.

Feedback and Knowledge Base